North Korea launched an intercontinental ballistic missile test on Saturday, sending shock waves through the volatile situation, but the test failed as the missile fell inside North Korean territory. This marked North Korea’s fourth unsuccessful missile test since March.
Despite the failure, the launch was condemned by South Korea and Japan.
The South Korean Foreign Ministry released a statement saying, “It demonstrates once again the regime’s belligerence and recklessness of categorically disobeying the international community’s resolve to achieve the denuclearization of North Korea.”
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson addressed a special meeting of the UN Security Council on Friday with his concerns about North Korea.
“Failing to act now on the most pressing security issue in the world may bring catastrophic consequences,” Tillerson told the Security Council, according to AFP.
“The threat of a North Korean nuclear attack on Seoul or Tokyo is real, and it is likely only a matter of time before North Korea develops the capability to strike the U.S. mainland,” Tillerson said. “The time has come for all of us to put new pressure on North Korea to abandon its dangerous path. I urge this council to act before North Korea does.”
US President Trump condemned the launch via Twitter.
North Korea disrespected the wishes of China & its highly respected President when it launched, though unsuccessfully, a missile today. Bad!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 28, 2017
Last week, President Trump said in an interview that there is a chance of a “major, major conflict” with North Korea.
Source: Israel in the News